top of page

Innocent Spouse Relief

Both spouses on a married filing jointly return are held responsible for all the tax due even if one spouse earned all the income or claimed improper deductions or credits. In some cases, however, a spouse can get relief from joint and several liability. You have two years after the date the IRS first attempted to collect the tax from you to request innocent spouse relief or separation of liability relief . You may request relive on the grounds of Innocent Spouse Relief, Separation of Liability Relief or Equitable Relief. If you qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief, you may not owe any tax. Please contact us for more details!


You are an injured spouse if your share of the refund was applied against the past-due federal tax, any state tax, child support or federal non-tax debt of your spouse with whom you filed the joint return. If you are an injured spouse, you may be entitled to recoup your share of the refund.

M&Y International Financial Services
193 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Office:  732-875-0177
Fax:     732-626-6847
bottom of page